The key to a long-lasting and beautiful makeup, aside from a good skincare and regimen, is a good primer. A primer will work as a base for your foundation making it last longer. Now, I know it can sometimes be confusing to pick the right one, so today I’ll explain in depth the different kinds of primers and how you can pick the right one for you.
What Is A Primer?
A primer is a cream that helps keep the makeup in place. It serves as the base for your makeup, it makes the makeup sick to the face and lasts longer. It is applied after moisturizing the skin and before applying foundation. A primer can also be worn alone to smooth the skin and give a natural look for an everyday use.
Types Of Primers
– Matte; helps control the shine
– Smoothing/Poreless; fills in pores and fine lines
– Hydrating; adds extra hydration to the skin
– Color Correcting; Corrects color imperfections and balances the skin’s tone
How To Choose The Right Primer For You
First, you need to know what type of skin you have. Pay attention to your skin and how it changes throughout the day. Evaluate its texture and notice if you have discoloration or unevenness. You’ll want to know if you have normal, oily or dry skin. Textured skin, fine lines, larger pores or dark spots. You might also want to know if you have any skin concerns like acne, sensitive skin, rosacea or any other skin problem.
01. Dry Skin
If you have dry skin like me, you might want to use a hydrating primer. There are two types of hydrating primer, cream and water based. I find that water-based primers hydrated the skin more, but cream hydrating primers make your makeup last longer. In this case, you can use which ever works best or use both.
02. Oily Skin
Matte primers are going to be your best friend. They’ll help control the oil throughout the day for you. Focus it on the parts where you get very oily.
03. Glow Primers
Glow Primers or strobing creams are made to add a glow to the skin making it look more luminous for a dewy look or make it look like you’re naturally glowing.
Color Correcting Primers
– Purple Primers; Help neutralize the color of the skin. They cancel dull skin and dark spot.
– Green Primers; They cancel the redness of the skin. Recommended for acne skin and sensitive skin.
– Primers With SPF; They help protect the skin from the sun or harsh lights. This primer should only be used during the day. If used during the night, it’ll create a white cast in pictures.
Skincare Infused Primers
– Calming Primers; Made to relieve any discomfort on the skin due to sensitive skin, acne or rosacea.
– Anti-Aging Primers; Infused with anti-aging ingredients to help slow down the process, smooth out the skin and blur fine lines and pores.
– Anti-Acne Treatment;Infused with acne treatment to help cure blemishes and prevent future breakouts.
Things To Know About Primers
– It’s going to help your skin look radiant, health and it’ll make your makeup last longer.
– It is applied after the hydrating cream or SPF and before the foundation.
– You should always apply a primer even though you wear a no foundation look. It’ll protect your skin from weather aggressors.
– SPF Primers should only be used during the day. It gives your face a white cast at night and in flash photography.
– It can be used alone, without makeup.
– Choose be the one that goes according to your skin type.
– You can mix primers according to your skin’s concern.
– Usually, High-End Primers have more than one benefit. For example, some anti-acne primers are matte and smooth at the same time.
I hope this post have been helpful and make you more wiser when you go out shopping for a new primers. Thank you and don’t hesitate to comment down below for more discussion!
Cheers, and let’s be more beautiful